Natural Remedies for Restless Leg syndrome (RLS)
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a condition that causes an uncontrollable urge to move the legs, usually in the evening or night time hours when you're sitting or lying down. The condition is more common with increasing age and more common in women than in men. Often time’s people with RLS want to walk around and shake their legs (or arms) to help relieve the uncomfortable sensations. Alternative methods like massage and herbs may be beneficial is reliving RLS symptoms.
- Although in modern medicine there's no known cause for RLS, researchers suspect the condition may be caused by an imbalance of the brain chemical dopamine, which sends messages to control muscle movements. A study published in 2007 reported RLS symptoms were observed with patents having an iron deficiency. From an Ayurvedic perspective RLS is liked with imbalance of Vata dosh. When the nerves of the lower limbs are disturbed by Vata, symptoms predominately seen in the legs. Vata dosh is responsible for excessive motion and disturbance in the movement of parana. According to Ayurveda, both sensory and motor skills are managed and governed by vata. When Vata becomes imbalanced, it can cause disturbances related to both sensation and motor response.
Natural Remedies and Lifestyle Tips
- Avoiding or limiting caffeinated products such as coffees, teas, colas, chocolates. Avoid nicotine and alcohol intake.
- Hydrate Yourself: Lack of hydration may lead to RLS. Make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Try magnesium supplements. They may be helpful in alleviating RLS .
- Massaging your legs and feet could help with RLS symptoms. Many patients reported significant improvement with symptoms when they massaged their leg with Dr. Kohli’s Muscle & joint pain oil before going to bed at night and covering their leg with cotton socks. Dr. Kohli’s Muscle & joint Pain oil is a poly herbal formulation with over dozen herbs, herbal extracts and essential oils. This topical formulation could help in calming your muscle and nerves.
- Some people reported they started feeling better with RLS symptoms after sex release.
- Boost your iron as iron deficiency may lead to RLS
- Reduce stress as much as possible. Try meditation, yoga, soft music or other options before retiring to bed.
- Some patients reported taking Dr. Kohli’s Ashwagandha Capsules at bed time with warm milk helps with RLS symptoms.
- From an Ayurveda treatment perspective, one should consider vata pacifying diet, herbs and lifestyle in order to control RLS symptoms. Some herbs that may be beneficial are ashwagandha, amla and shankhpuspi. Massaging lower legs with warm/hot oil. In order to balance vata one should avoid cold food and drinks. Incorporating hot soups, nuts, coconut, berries, turmeric, zinger and cinnamon in your diet may be beneficial.